Certifying VA Educational Benefits

In order for VA Education Benefits to be certified, the following requirements must be met:

1. Active service members must consult with their Education Services Officer prior to submitting an application for VA benefits to Montgomery Community College.

2. Veterans, active service members, Guard and Reserve, and survivors and dependents must complete an application for VA educational benefits at www.vets.gov (Please note that this URL is correct but may not work in all browsers.) Please supply copies of all applicable documentation to Montgomery Community College.
    Chapter 30 (GI Bill®)
    Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
    Chapter 33
    Transfer of Entitlement
    Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents)
    Chapter 1606 (Guard and Reserve)

3. Veterans, Guard, and Reserve must supply a copy of their DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty to Montgomery Community College.

4. Veterans, active service members, Guard and Reserve, and survivors and dependents must apply for admission and submit a copy of your acceptance letter from Montgomery Community College to the VA Certifying Official.

5. Veterans, active service members, Guard and Reserve, and survivors and dependents must request official transcripts (high school or equivalent, college, College Level Examination Program, or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support test results) to be sent directly to Montgomery Community College Admissions Office from all other educational institutions attended. Within two-to-three weeks after you apply for or transfer VA benefits, you will normally receive a letter from VA informing you that they have received your application and are processing it.

6. Approximately 45 – 60 days (sometimes longer, depending on the workload at the Regional Processing Office in Buffalo ) after your application has been submitted, you will receive two copies of a letter from the VA entitled “Certificate of Eligibility.” Copy Number 2 is for the VA Certifying Official at Montgomery Community College for inclusion in your VA file.

7. Upon receipt of an official letter of acceptance from Montgomery Community College, a copy must be submitted to the VA Certifying Official at Montgomery Community College and a consultation made with him/her prior to registration to ensure transcripts and other necessary paperwork has been entered into your file. The VA Certifying Official will aid you in ensuring your courses match your degree program. It is ultimately your responsibility to follow the approved courses listed for your degree program. Certification cannot take place until after you are successfully enrolled in classes.

8. Veterans, active service members, Guard and Reserve, and survivors and dependents may also apply for additional financial aid through FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Click below to get started.

Services are available virtually, on the phone, and in person.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Keeping Your Veteran Benefits Running Smoothly

Only courses required to complete the appropriate curriculum or remaining elective courses in the individual's curriculum as published in the ...

Numbers to Know

VA REGIONAL PROCESSING OFFICE, Buffalo General Inquiries and InformationAddress changeRequest to establish benefits1-888-442-4551 VETERANS ADMINISTRATION VA Monthly verification of attendance1-877-823-2378 ...