Established by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2011, the Forgivable Education Loans for Service provides financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. The North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority provides administration for the program. Only certain programs are eligible.
- Be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes
- Applicants may complete residency determination at the North Carolina Residency Determination Service Website.
- At the time of application, present a cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of:
- 3.00 for graduating high school students (weighted GPA)
- 2.80 for undergraduate students pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree
- Register with the Selective Service System, if required
- Recipients must not be in default, or does not owe a refund, under any federal or State loan or grant program
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the enrolling policy of the institution
- Be willing to work in NC in a designated critical employment shortage profession
- Must plan to enroll at least part-time in a FELS Approved Program at a FELS Eligible Institution
For complete information on this program please visit the website: