Associate in Science in Teacher Preparation
The Associate in Science in Teacher Preparation degree shall be granted for a planned program of study consisting of a minimum of 60 semester hours of credit (SHC) of college transfer courses. Within the degree program, the institution shall include opportunities for the achievement of competence in reading, writing, oral communication, fundamental mathematical skills, and basic computer use.
The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) and the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) enables North Carolina community college graduates of two-year associate in science programs who are admitted to constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina and to Signatory Institutions of North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities to transfer with junior status.
Community college graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and an overall GPA of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale in order to transfer with a junior status. Courses may also transfer through bilateral agreements between institutions.
Total Semester Hours Credit required in program = 60-61 (A. UGETC + B. Additional Gen Ed Hrs + C. Other Required Hrs)
One semester hour of credit may be included in a 61 SHC Associate in Science program of study. The transfer of this hour is not guaranteed.
Total General Education Hours Required= 45 semester hours credit (SHC)
- Students must meet the receiving university’s foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, prior to or after transfer to the senior institution.
- All degree graduates of Montgomery Community College must demonstrate competency in the basic use of computers. To satisfy this requirement, students may utilize one of the following three options:
- Provide evidence of computer courses taken in high school or at another college;
- Take a computer course at MCC; or
- Take the MCC Computer Competency Test