Academic readiness in English, reading, and math is required for placement into many Montgomery Community College courses. For students who graduated from high school within the past ten years, placement is generally determined by high school GPA after the high school transcript is received by the College. For other students, placement testing may be required to determine whether transitional or support courses will be needed.
• Qualifying minimum score on high school equivalency exam taken within 10 years of the start term at MCC;
• NC DAP, ACUPLACER, ASSET or COMPASS scores, or qualifying SAT or ACT scores completed within the last 10 years;
• Developmental course credit completed or English and math transfer credit awarded.
Students with special needs should contact the MCC Counselor prior to scheduling their placement test to ensure that appropriate accommodations will be provided. All information and services provided for special needs and disabled students is confidential.
REINFORCED INSTRUCTION FOR STUDENT EXCELLENCE (RISE)
Beginning with the Spring 2020 term, applicants to MCC will be evaluated and placed into gateway English and Math course(s) based on the following criteria:
• Unweighted GPA on a United States high school transcript; the student must have graduated within 10 years of the start term at MCC; or
• Has earned developmental course credit or has successfully completed a college-level English or math course; or
• Has completed an eligible placement test with the last 10 years; or
• Has completed the GED since January 2014 and scored 170 or higher on each subject area or the HiSET with a score of 15 or higher on each component; or
• Has earned an Associate or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
Applicants who graduated from a US high school within 10 years of the start term at MCC will be placed into gateway English and math courses based on the following unweighted GPA ranges:
• 0.0 – 2.199 – Must successfully complete a Transition English or Transition math course prior to enrolling in gateway English or math courses.
• 2.2- 2.799 – May register for any gateway English or math course and the corresponding co-requisite support course.
• 2.8 or higher – May register for any gateway English or math course.
Students are encouraged to speak with staff in the MCC Enrollment Office to determine if placement testing will be needed.
Prior to scheduling a placement test, the following steps must be completed:
1) Complete an application for admission.
a) Receive an ID number which becomes a part of your student e-mail username and initial password. All future correspondence from MCC will be sent to your MCC student e-mail (TrailMail) account.
2) Submit official high school (or equivalent) transcripts and official transcripts from all colleges attended. An official transcript is one mailed directly to MCC from the school attended.
3) If you are applying for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Once your information has been received by Montgomery Community College, you will receive notification regarding any placement testing that might be required. Now you are ready to schedule a placement test.
THE DAY OF THE TEST:
1. Bring a photo identification card (Ex. Driver’s License) with you.
2. Placement Test may take at least 3 hours. Please plan accordingly.
•Testing is untimed.
•We will provide scratch paper, pencils, calculator, and a math formula sheet.
•No outside or personal calculators allowed.
•There is no fee for the test.
•You will receive a printed copy of your results.
3. The use of cell phones (or other electronic devices) is prohibited. Please turn off your cellphone at your arrival.
4. Students are required to clear all belongings off of the desk except for the scratch paper and pencils that are provided. Failure to do so can result in the invalidation of your testing.