The Montgomery Community College Board of Trustees has the legal responsibility and authority for officially naming, when appropriate, all properties and facilities under the jurisdiction of the College. The naming of a facility, part of a facility, or other property in honor of an individual or organization is considered to be one of the highest recognition’s the College can bestow.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a standard at Montgomery Community College for naming buildings, facilities, sites, interior and exterior spaces, and other auxiliary facilities under the jurisdiction of the College. Naming opportunities may be granted in recognition of service distinction and/or in recognition of financial support.
The Board of Trustees may choose to name a facility in honor of living or deceased persons or organizations who meet one or more of the following criteria:
1. A former or current member of the Board of Trustees or Foundation Board who has given outstanding service and/or made a substantial monetary contribution to the institution.
2. A former employee who has made an outstanding personal service and/or substantial monetary contribution to the institution.
3. A citizen who has made an outstanding personal service and/or substantial monetary contribution to the institution.
4. An organization that has made a substantial in-kind or monetary contribution to the institution.
5. “Substantial” is deemed to mean that the contribution would not have been available from another source or is in some way integral to project completion.
6. If the request is to honor a deceased individual, the request should not be submitted for at least one year after the death of that person.
7. Montgomery Community College Board of Trustees reserves the right to change a building’s name or to remove the naming right due to significant changes in circumstances.
Adopted: March 11, 2020