Field trips are considered a very important aid in the communication of knowledge, ideas, and understanding to students. Instructors are encouraged to plan and make use of this teaching aid. The following regulations should be observed:
1. Field trips are to be planned in advance, with pre-instruction, post-discussion and evaluation being of prime importance in the planning.
2. The industry, business or destination visited should be engaged in practices which demonstrate something related to the subject matter being covered in the course.
3. All arrangements are to be made by the instructor in advance of the trip.
4. Transportation shall be arranged by the instructor. Students must bear the cost of transportation unless travel is being otherwise arranged by the College in advance.
5. When students on a field trip are to miss classes taught by other instructors at the College, prior approval is to be obtained from the instructors involved. Instructors may exchange class meeting times to make up hours lost if approved.
6. An approved Field Trip Form must be submitted and approved by the Dean or designee and appropriate Vice President at least five (5) days prior to the field trip.
7. Field trips that include minors require additional documentation and approval.
B. Use of Program Area Travel Funds
1. Each program area will be assigned a travel budget for the fiscal year. The Dean or designee is responsible for coordinating and regulating the use of these funds. All requests for use of the funds should be directed to the Program Director/Chairperson prior to the planned trip. Requests for travel reimbursement from State funds, which do not have prior approval by the Program Director/Chairperson and the appropriate Vice President, will not be honored.
2. For in-state travel, out-of-state travel, or other special action, a Travel Authorization Form must be submitted along with the Field Trip Form.
Adopted: September 9, 2019