An employee may be granted Educational Leave with pay (“leave”) provided all of the following conditions are met:
1. The employee has submitted the appropriate leave application.
2. The employee is employed full-time on a 9, 10, 11, or 12-month basis and has been employed by the College for a minimum of three years.
3. The leave does not exceed eighty (80) business days during the leave period in any twelve (12) month period.
4. The President has approved the leave.
5. The employee is under contract (full-time) to return to the College the full year following the leave.
6. An employee pursuing course work toward an advanced degree must attend an accredited institution.
7. The College’s needs must take priority over any employee’s requested work schedule adjustments. Depending on the employee’s request and any supervisory recommendations, the College may impose additional conditions as needed and based on the situation.
8. Requests for the leave are considered on a first come, first serve basis. Multiple requests in the same department are considered individually based on impact to the work area. Prior to the leave being granted, the appropriate Vice President must ensure that the employee’s duties and responsibilities are to be adequately performed during the employee’s absence.
9. An employee who fails to honor the contract and does not return to work after the leave shall be required to repay the full amount of salary and benefits expended for the educational leave. If the employee fulfills a portion of the contract but does not work the entire year after the leave, the employee shall be required to repay a pro rata portion of the salary and benefits expended by the College for the leave.
10. Requests for leave must be submitted in a timely manner for planning purposes, preferably during the budgeting process or 180-days prior to the leave request.
11. Employees may be considered for additional leave after completing two (2) consecutive years of employment subsequent to the completion of the prior leave.
12. Employee shall provide verification of completion of course(s) taken (e.g., letters, certificates, transcripts, etc.).
13. Requests which do not meet the criteria for leave may be addressed in Policy 3.2.16 – Leave Without Pay.
Adopted: May 8, 2019