Saturday, July 23, 2016
Text Size


Advising and Registration

WebAdvisor Registration

Starting October 28 and continuing through November 7, 2013 current students who have WebAdvisor accounts may meet with their advisor to map out their spring 2014 semester schedule. Advising is going on now through November 7.
If you do not have a WebAdvisor account, please see Natalie Winfree or Diana Sanchez in the Counseling and Career Development Center in Building 100, next to the JobLink Center. Or you may call (910) 576-6222, extension 210 or 223.
Once you have met with your advisor, you may register for classes using WebAdvisor. If you’d like help with that process you may attend one of the following sessions in the counseling center.

WebAdvisor Registration How To Sessions:

Monday, October 28 at 11:00 a.m.
Tuesday, October 29 at 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, October 30 at 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, October 31 at 3:30 p.m.
Monday, November 4 at 10:00 a.m.
Tuesday, November 5 at 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, November 6 at 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, November 7 at 3:30 p.m.

On November 7 you may pick up your registration form from Student Services between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Tuition and fees must be paid by December 13.

NOTE: Financial aid recipients must take their forms to the Financial Aid Office for final processing.

Academic Advising - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I received a D in one of my courses. Will it transfer?

If you receive a D in a course, you will not receive any hours toward graduation at the school you are transferring. However, in some cases it may fulfill a prerequisite. For example, if you receive a D in Chemistry you may not need to retake Chemistry if it serves as a prerequisite for another course. Each school has its own policies regarding prerequisites.

Q: Will my GPA transfer after I transfer to a senior college or university?

No, your GPA will not transfer. Your GPA from MCC is typically used in admission standards, and after you transfer your GPA will be based on the courses that you take at each school you attend.

Q: Can I transfer to a private school? If so, what courses transfer?

Yes, many private schools have agreed to the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA). For a list of private schools that are a part of the CAA click here for a list of schools. Any course covered in the CAA will transfer; all courses covered in the CAA have a statement at the end of the course description noting it is part of the CAA. Most schools that are not part of the CAA will also accept transfer credit from MCC. If the school that you plan to attend is not part of the CAA, the office of academic advising can assist you in getting prior approval for transfer credit.

Q: I want to attend MCC full-time; what is a full-time course load?

Twelve semester hours is considered full-time for financial aid purposes. However, if you want to complete the degree in two years (not counting the summer semester) you should expect to average 16 semester hours each term. Should you need developmental courses or take less than 16 hours per semester, you should expect the program to take more than two years. When you meet with the academic advising director to develop your plan of study (POS), you can accurately determine how long it will take to complete the degree.

Q: Can I transfer before completing my degree?

Yes, you can complete the 44-hour general education core and still transfer. If you elect to transfer without completing the degree or the general education core you will likely have deficits in the general education requirements at the college or university you are transferring. You may also transfer individual courses.

Q: I only need a couple of courses to graduate; will I be able to participate in graduation ceremonies?

While MCC grants degrees at the end of each semester, graduation ceremonies are only held in May. Therefore, if you will finish your degree at the end of the spring or summer terms, you can participate in the May graduation ceremony. If you finish your degree at the end of the fall semester, you will have to wait until the following May to participate in graduation ceremonies.

Q: Do I need to take a foreign language?

Whether or not you need to take a foreign language will depend on the program at the transfer college or university. If the program requires a foreign language, then you will need to take the required foreign language. The Director of Academic Advising can help you answer this question.

Q: I didn’t do well on the SAT; can I still transfer?

You do not have to take the SAT to be admitted to the college transfer program at MCC. If you gradate from the college transfer program, you are exempt from taking the SAT. However, if you do not complete the degree you may be required to take the SAT upon transfer. This will vary among schools depending on the admission requirements for transfer students set forth by the different schools.

Q: For my electives, may I take any course that I want?

Elective courses should be chosen based on the major and school that you plan to attend after graduating from MCC. All transfer courses will count toward the degree at MCC but may not meet the program requirement at the school you will be transferring. You will receive credit for the hours taken, but the course may only be counted as a general elective. Therefore, all courses should be carefully selected in order to meet the graduation requirements at MCC and the transfer school. The director of academic advising can answer your questions about specific courses and schools.

Q: If I am majoring in education, is there anything special that I need to do?

Yes, you should declare your intent to major in education early and take the PRAXIS I exam. If you are a full-time student you should take the PRAXIS no later than the end of your third semester in the program. More information about PRAXIS may be found on the link for education students.

Q: If I complete the transfer program, am I guaranteed admission to a school in the UNC System?

If you graduate from the college transfer program you are guaranteed admission to one of the 16 universities in the UNC System. However, you are not guaranteed admission to the school of your choice nor are you guaranteed admittance to any specific program (e.g., education, nursing, physical therapy, etc.).

Q: I am a student at another school and I would like to take a course at MCC while I am home for the summer or an online course. May I still take courses at MCC?

Yes, you may take courses at MCC. You should contact your academic advisor at your school to receive approval to ensure the course will meet the requirements of your program. You may then register for any course at MCC as long as you meet any prerequisite for the course you wish to take.

If your question is not addressed or you need additional clarification, feel free to contact the office of academic advising.

Academic Advising - Education Majors

Students majoring in education should declare their intent to pursue a degree in education early in their program at MCC. Education students typically have fewer options when it comes to course selection and should select their plan of study carefully. The office of academic advising is available to assist you in determining the courses best suited to your needs. It is also recommended that education students take the PRAXIS I exam at the end of their first year or early in their second year of study at MCC. For more information on the PRAXIS, click here.

Popular Education Programs Among MCC Students:

Pfeiffer University

University of North Carolina at Greensboro

St. Andrews University

High Point University

There are many other education programs to which students can transfer. Feel free to contact the office of academic advising for additional information.

Login Form