Wednesday, July 27, 2016
Text Size

Types of Financial Aid

Pell Grants

  • Grant - No repayment
  • For undergraduates only who have not earned a bachelors or professional degree

Pell Grants are awarded to help undergraduates pay for their education after high school. For many students these grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which aid from other sources may be added. To apply for a federal Pell Grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA must be completed for each academic year the student is enrolled.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Grant - no repayment
  • Undergraduates only
  • Campus-based program
  • Amount of award based on exceptional need and availability of funds

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are awarded to help students pay for their post-secondary education. These grants are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need (with priority given to Pell Grant recipients). To apply for the FSEOG, the student should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Workforce Development Program

The Workforce Development program at MCC is sponsored through the Workforce Investment ACT (WIA). This program provides training, employment and financial services to disadvantaged adults and dislocated workers who meet the eligibility criteria.

  • Training assistance available includes: adult education, literacy training, occupational skills training, and curriculum education training.
  • Employment assistance available includes: pre-employment skills assessment, resume writing, and job placement assistance.
  • Financial assistance may be available in the form of scholarship assistance for tuition, textbooks, and fees

For more assistance on WIA services, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. at 910-576-6222, ext.380.

State Child Care Grant

(Pending available funding)

The State Child Care Grant to community colleges provides childcare assistance for student parents in college with demonstrated need for childcare funding.

It is recommended that all applicants for child care assistance file for the Federal Title IV Student Financial Aid, although eligibility for federal aid is not a criterion for receiving assistance through this program. Once all applications have been received, the Child Care Grant Coordinator and Financial Aid Officer will jointly determine the need of student parents for childcare funding assistance. Applicants will be notified in writing of their eligibility.

North Carolina Community College Grant & NC Education Lottery Scholarship

To be eligible for the North Carolina Community College Grant and North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list a North Carolina community college as one of their top three choices on the institutions section of the FAFSA. No payments are made during the summer term.

A qualified student must be a resident of North Carolina enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) in an eligible curriculum program. Students must meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements and the Pell Grant eligibility requirements except for the expected family contribution (EFC) requirement established by the federal government. Students with a bachelor's degree are ineligible. Qualified students may receive both the Pell Grant, the North Carolina Community College Grant, and the North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship.

Annual amounts for full-time students vary based on the student's established need and enrollment status. If a student's enrollment status reduces, the annual award amount will reduce proportionally. Funding amounts may vary depending on lottery proceeds and state legislation.


Students are eligible for MCC Institutional scholarships up to covering tuition and fees if the following eligibility requirements are met:

  • Have a recognized unmet financial need: determined by a FAFSA score of between 5001 - 13500.
  • Meet the minimum academic standards determined by the US Department of Education.
  • Enrolled in a qualified certificate, diploma or degree program at Montgomery Community College.
  • Maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
  • Complete 75% of the courses for which they are enrolled while receiving scholarship assistance.
  • Not receiving other forms of financial assistance equal to, or greater than, the costs of their tuition and book charges.

Merit, Curriculum Based, & Other Scholarships to Montgomery Community College:
The MCCF is proud to receive and award annual scholarships for students enrolled in specific fields of study, based on demonstrated excellence in the classroom, and from third party partners in the community. The Montgomery Community College financial aid office retains a list of annual scholarships. Deadline for these scholarships is April 1 for the next academic year.

For more information on scholarships available, visit the Program Costs page for any academic program of study. Links to the MCC Foundation scholarship pages, the FAFSA website, and any unique scholarship opportunities will be listed by program.

Outside Scholarships

An outside scholarship may be awarded from a high school, a local civic club or church, educational foundation, etc. If you will be receiving such an award, you must notify the MCC Financial Aid Office prior to registration . You must submit an authorization letter from the donor to the MCC Business Office if the College is expected to bill for your award.

Commercial Loans

MCC does not participate in the Federal Family Education Loan program. However, commercial loan information is available from the Financial Aid Office upon request.

Deferred Tuition Payment

Students may utilize a third party provider to make installment payments on their tuition costs. More information can be found at: eCashier.

Veteran Educational Benefits

The Financial Aid/Veterans Office provides information and assistance to veterans and dependents of disabled or deceased veterans who are eligible to receive educational benefits. Veterans applying for VA educational benefits must enroll in an approved curriculum program and take only those courses that are required for graduation. Satisfactory academic progress must also be maintained.

Students wishing to submit inquiries about Veterans payments may now do so through the Internet. The Internet address is

Students may also call the VA Regional Office at 800-827-1000 for information and assistance or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service at 888-442-4551.

For additional information contact your local Veterans Service Representative or the Financial Aid Office at MCC. Students may pick up a MCC VA Handbook at the Financial Aid Office or access the Veterans Benefits link online.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students who have a mental or physical disability that is an impediment to employment may apply for financial assistance through vocational rehabilitation. Interested students should contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office nearest the students' home, or contact:

N.C. Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
PO Box 26053
805 Ruggles Drive
Raleigh , NC 27611-6053

Locally, students may contact:

North Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation
Southern Pines Office

Employer Sponsorship

Many North Carolina employers will provide tuition assistance through employer sponsorships equivalent to in-state rates. For more information concerning this process contact the MCC Business Office at (910) 576-6222, or (800) 839-6222, extension 329.

Login Form